NOVI—Officials at Harman, the automotive electronics subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.a, announced the introduction of Harman Savari Mecwave, multi-access edge computing software that enables automakers and mobile network operators to deliver ultra-low latency applications and services on edge computing infrastructure.
By operating on the edge with ultra-low latency, Mecwave accelerates the deployment of vehicle-to-everything (V2X) communications, including safety-critical applications like hazard alerts, along with high-throughput connectivity experiences like interactive infotainment and video streaming.
Mecwave also extends V2X capabilities to non-V2X capable vehicles and devices such as bikes and scooters, as well as mobile and wearable devices. Harman officials say Mecwave, automakers are empowered to deploy connected features for consumers more quickly and with far less complexity, enabling meaningful innovation today and into the future.
Mecwave is complemented by two additional Harman software products, Savari StreetWave and Savari MobiWave. The StreetWave roadside unit is a node for vehicular connectivity, using wireless technologies such as 5G or CBRS for backhaul and C-V2X technologies to enable a communication framework between infrastructure and vehicles. MobiWave is a wireless vehicular on-board unit combines existing telematics control units with V2X services to reduce traffic-related emergencies.
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, nearly 1 in 5 vehicle accidents are caused by weather-related factors. In inclement weather conditions, vehicles equipped with MobiWave will continuously transmit real-time information about the location of the vehicle. StreetWave, which is mounted on roadside utility poles, or within wireless communication infrastructures along the route, receives the data and transfers it to Mecwave, which processes and aggregates real-time data from various transmission points, high-definition map data, local weather conditions, and traffic patterns. As a result, drivers will receive real-time notifications and alerts to help mitigate the risk of weather-related incidents and keep them safe.
Harman officials also said the systems allows notifications of wrong-wave drivers and vulnerable road users like pedestrians, motorcyclists, and cyclists, in circumstances like pedestrians stepping into a crosswalk. When Mecwave detects a high-risk scenario, an awareness notification is sent both to nearby vehicles and to the pedestrian’s mobile device warning both parties of the potential collision.
For more information on Harman Savari Mecwave, and the company’s full line-up of V2X products and services, visit https://car.harman.com/solutions/connectivity.
Harman also announced the availability of two new acoustic innovations, Ready Together and Software Enabled Branded Audio.
Ready Together uses advanced acoustic technology to streamline and enhance in-vehicle communication and entertainment. Software Enabled Branded Audio is an on-demand software platform that upgrades the sound quality and feature set of existing unbranded car audio systems with the touch of a button. Both products are ready for in-vehicle integration.
Key features of Ready Together include:
- Immersive Audio Experiences: Families can enjoy an amazing, shared listening experience, powered by the latest audio innovations from Harman. When they want to enjoy their own content, sound zone technology enables that level of personalization.
- Enhanced In-Car Communication: Advanced noise management, microphone, and voice processing capability enables clear, frustration-free conversations for all vehicle occupants.
- Customized profiles: A fully customizable experience for families that caters to every lifestyle. Dedicated profiles and presets for each driver and passenger deliver independent entertainment, customized for all types of trips, with no interruptions.
HARMAN will also introduce an updated Personal Audio Headrest as part of the Ready Together solution.
Key features of Software Enabled Branded Audio include:
- Infinity Branded Sound On Demand: Easily activated through the in-vehicle infotainment system at any point during the life of the vehicle.
- Personalized EQ Overlay: Customized according to individual listening tests based on Harman’s patented Personi-Fi technology.
- Seat-specific tuning: Optimized for location and number of occupants and enhances image and overall sound quality.
- Multi-profile user management: Personalized settings for each user to switch between easily and quickly.
More information at https://car.harman.com.
Harman also announced the acquisition of Apostera, a Germany-based automotive technology company. Terms were not disclosed.
Apostera’s augmented reality (AR) and mixed reality (MR) software will expand Harman’s automotive product offerings.
Apostera’s mixed reality solution combines augmented reality, machine learning, computer vision, and sensor fusion in a hardware-agnostic software platform. Apostera’s employees will join Harman as part of the company’s automotive division.